Lt. William Pratt first visited Saybrook in 1637 in a planned expedition against the Pequot Indians. For his services, he received a grant of land on the west bank of the river, six miles from the mouth in 1645. He settled here with his wife, Elizabeth Clarke, who was also a large land-owner in Old Saybrook.
Lt. William Pratt’s great-great grandson was Timothy Pratt b. Oct 17, 1748. Timothy Pratt became a Deacon in the 3rd Meetinghouse in Old Saybrook (across the street) and was a beloved servant for many years.
Some of the earliest records of the area report that this house was erected in 1746. Deacon Timothy Pratt was born in 1748, so it’s possible that his father, also named Timothy (1715-1756) built it and left it to his son. Many of the original details remain, including the wide-planked wooden floors with the square-headed nails, hand-hewn beams, the corner cupboard (dining room) and the beehive oven (kitchen). The Deacon Timothy Pratt House is listed on the National Historic Register.